Many coffee lovers will invest in a nice coffee machine that will brew them a delicious, café quality cup every single morning. However, what some don’t know is that they need to look after their machines properly in order to maintain its brewing quality.
Things like regular cleaning or using a descaler for coffee machine will provide a more consistent flavor to your coffee and keep your machine running for longer. So, this article will guide you through how and when to maintain it.
In order to prevent a build-up of dirt which will be a nightmare to get rid of later, you should keep your coffee machine clean on a daily basis. This includes:
- Emptying the grounds: After each use, remove and empty the grounds. This is vital to prevent mold growth and the build-up of coffee oils, which can adversely affect the taste of your coffee.
- Wipe down: Regularly use a damp cloth to wipe down the exterior of the machine, including the portafilter and the area around the coffee outlet. This step is important for keeping your machine hygienic and free from unappetizing coffee stains.
- Rinse the drip tray: To avoid odor and residue build-up, it’s essential to empty and rinse the drip tray daily. This simple habit keeps your machine fresh and ready for its next use.
In an ideal world, you would this more often. But, realistically, no one has the time to fully clean their coffee machine out every single day. So, the below is what you should try and do on a weekly basis:
- Clean removable parts: Disassemble any removable parts like the drip tray, portafilter, and filter basket. Wash them in warm, soapy water to remove lingering coffee oils and residues, ensuring a clean and fresh brew each time.
- Back flushing (if applicable): For machines equipped with a back flushing feature, use a dedicated agent to clean the internal components, maintaining the machine’s internal hygiene and functionality.
Once a month, you should do some essential maintenance and deep cleaning on your coffee machine to further ensure its longevity. This involves:
- Descaling: Utilizing a coffee machine descaling solution is crucial, especially in areas with hard water. This process removes mineral build-up inside the machine, ensuring its efficient operation and the quality of your coffee.
- Replace water filters: Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation to replace water filters. This step maintains water quality and prevents scale build-up inside your machine.
As and when needed
The above tips will keep your brewer clean at all times, however, once in a while you might encounter problems or breakage that may also affect the quality and flavor of your coffee.
- Grinder maintenance: If your machine includes a built-in grinder, you may need to clean it out once in a while to ensure consistent grind quality.
- Inspect seals and gaskets: Regularly check for wear and tear. Replace any worn-out seals or gaskets to prevent leaks and maintain the machine’s efficiency.
- Professional service: Every few years, especially for high-end models, consider a professional service. This ensures your machine is in top working condition and helps identify any potential issues early.
A high-quality coffee machine is not just an initial investment – it also requires regular time and care to maintain it. If you look after your machine properly, it will guarantee a consistently delicious brew at all times.