In this blog post, we will discuss 10 tips for successfully switching to vaping. This is not an easy task, and it can be very frustrating at times. We need to understand the complexities of how an e-cigarette works, what e-liquid is and the difference in types of e-liquids VG/PG, which nicotine strength is right for you, different types of e-cigarettes that are available such as cigalikes or mods with variable wattage and temperature control.
Making sure that you purchase a decent starter kit that will last you a while but won’t be too complicated for new users like yourself. E-cigarettes can be broken down into 3 main categories, disposables, pens, and mods. disposable vapes are by far the easiest device to start on, they are an all-in-one device, that delivers hassle-free vaping. There is no need to refill with e-liquid, change coils or recharge, simply vape, and dispose of once depleted.
1. Test a range of flavours, the variety of flavours vaping is available in is huge and you need to find which ones suit your taste buds best. The wide variety of flavours available have everything the mind could imagine from fruity cereal vapes, custards and milkshakes to desserts, bakery products and even drinks like cola or root beer that will give you the same sensation as the real thing.
2. Vaper’s cough is a common phenomenon that happens when you first start vaping and it’s perfectly normal, the throat hit from nicotine can sometimes cause coughing which will go with time as your body gets used to not smoking cigarettes anymore. Other than vapers cough there are other symptoms such as dry mouth or eyes, headaches, and nausea but these will go away after the first few days.
3. When starting with vaping, it is important to understand what type of device and e-liquid you use, and which nicotine strength suits your needs best. As a guide you are a 20+ day smoker, it would be best to start with a high nicotine strength such as 20mg. If you are a 10 or less a day smoker, a 6mg e-liquid would suffice.
4. Avoid buying an e-cigarette that is too complex for new users. For example, vaping mods with variable wattage and temperature control are more suited to the experienced vaper who has a good understanding of Ohms law or Joule’s law. A new user who has no experience with vaping will struggle to operate these devices and more than likely the device will be broken by the end of it.
5. Learn to vape properly before giving up, taking small hard puffs from your e-cig will get you nowhere, you will get the best results from a long soft inhale. This may take you a while to master but will give you an enjoyable experience.
6. Get involved in the vaping community, they are a great bunch! There are hundreds of vape forums and articles available online, even Facebook groups. There is a lot of support available for new vapers, and if you cannot find an answer to your question try joining a local Facebook vaping group, where there are plenty of experienced vapers helping others along.
7. Be patient, making the switch is a big change for your body, habits, and lifestyle. Learning how to vape won’t happen overnight, you will feel frustrated at times but persevere.
8. Don’t vape constantly, stick to set break times for using your vape, like you would with traditional cigarettes. Over the last 18 months working from home has increased significantly, with the lack of nasty smells and staining of walls from e-cigarette vape you may make the decision to vape indoors, which is fine, this is a benefit of making the switch. However, do not sit at home chomping on your vape all day long and overloading on nicotine.
9. Visit your local vape shop, this may not be convenient to do so frequently but when buying your first device it is worthwhile making the effort. The staff hold a wealth of knowledge and expertise within the industry and quite often are friendly people. They will be happy to guide you through the process of choosing your first vape device and e-liquid.
Making the switch to vaping can seem quite daunting, take your time, take the advice available and be patient. Choosing the right device is essential to your success to start off try disposable vapes that don’t need to be refilled with e-liquid, change coils or recharge. Test a range of flavours, be careful to not overload on nicotine through constant use or using a strength too high for your needs. Make time to visit a vape store during your early days of vaping, tap into the expertise they have to offer, and most importantly enjoy your vape!